On 2/12/2015 10:26 AM, Neal Lithwick wrote:
Hi

I would love to migrate over to this program but I have one problem (so
far). I need to have the ability to set a Starting Balance for the balance
sheet items as I am not starting anew but migrating over from Money Smith.
Since every transaction needs to be reconciled, I would have to go back 7
years and enter each transaction to get this to work (Money Smith does not
have a file format compatible with GnuCash migration requirements).

  Any chance you might consider adding this feature to this program?

  Neal
The only time you would need to do THAT is if "Money Smith" no longer worked. Normal in a situation like this, especially where close to the start of the year, is to continue to use "Money Smith" for years 2014 and before (in case you need to refer to that data, for example, doing your 2014 taxes) but using gnucash for 2015 and forward. You would do this by ........

In "Money Smith produce a Balance Sheet report for 12/31/14 (end of 2014). I am assuming that "Money Smith" has at least that capability. Print that out unless you have multiple terminal capability or the next step will drive you crazy. You will probably also want a P&L Report so you see the various income and Expense Accounts you had under "Money Smith".

Now use THIS data to create your chart of accounts under gnucash. Don't for the moment bother about opening balances (let them all be zero). It will make you "open the books" transaction cleaner and you will have a chance to see that you have the chart of accounts the way you want it before actually entering data.

Make a copy of this file! (in case you have an accident with the opening transaction(s). Read the documentation on "splits". I recommend that that you use TWO opening transactions because a two way split is tricky and you are new to gnucash. If you have no liabilities (unlikely, but of course possible) you'd only have one transaction anyway.

Now look at that Balance Sheet. Let's say you will do assets first. You can date the opening transaction 12/31/14 and then it won't show up on your 2015 reports but that is up to you. The easiest way to do the split is to start in equity where you credit the amount "total assets" and then hit split. Chance the debit amount to the amount of the first asset account and specify the account. On to the next and repeat until all are done. There should be nothing left as "Imbalance". Now do the same for your liabilities, again starting in equity as a debit, split, and now all the liability accounts.

At this point I'd run a Balance Sheet in gnucash. Compare with the one from "Money Smith". You are now at the beginning of 2015.

Now you enter all your transactions from Jan 1st 2015 to present (a month and a half of data, not seven years). When done, run Balance Sheets from both programs (for that end date), "Money Smith's" P&L for Jan 1, 2015 to that end date and gnucash's Income Statement for the same time interval. Everything should match up.

If it does, you have a choice. You can consider it done and just use gnucash, or you can have a test period for a while using both until you are confident with gnucash.

Michael D Novack

PS: You CAN of course specify opening balances as you create the accounts. But that just makes a whole bunch of opening transactions instead of the two or one. And I don't know what date would get assigned.

.