After a few years of being too busy to try working on the code base, I thought
I’d make another attempt at installing a development  version of GnuCash.
Following the instructions on https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz>, I began by creating a new user,
to be certain the environment wasn’t polluted by my previous attempt.

I was successful in downloading gtk-osx-build-setup.sh

I then ran it from the command line, and after a half-dozen or so tries,
succeeded.   (prior attempts hung at 9% or less complete - I presume this is
temporary).

There were three warnings:

WARNING: aclocal not available (usually part of package 'autoconf')
WARNING: automake not available (usually part of package 'automake')
WARNING: yelp-tools not available (usually part of package 'yelp-tools')
Configuring jhbuild without autotools

Are these a problem?

I then pulled down
http://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-on-osx/raw/master/.jhbuildrc-custom
<http://github.com/gnucash/gnucash-on-osx/raw/master/.jhbuildrc-custom>

At this point I attempted to uncomment the line

skip.remove( “bash” )

But it wasn’t in there.   So I added it, and when I attempted to run jhbuild it
complained.  So I removed the line.  Is this it no longer a relevant
instruction?

I then attempted to run

jhbuild build openssl

Which yielded the response:

jhbuild build: failed to parse
/Users/gnucashdev/Source/jhbuild/modulesets/http:/git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules:
 <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules:>
[Errno 2] No such file or directory:
u'/Users/gnucashdev/Source/jhbuild/modulesets/http:/git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules'
 <http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk-osx/plain/modulesets-stable/gtk-osx.modules'>

At which point I am not sure how to proceed.  In particular. I’m not even sure
whether this should go to gnucash-devel or gtx-osx-devel