This got me much further.

The next problem was that no matter how many times I re-tried, gnutls would not
check out.   I finally pulled it down by hand, extracted it to what appears to
be the right place, and then continued from the configure phase - that seemed
to work.  The symptom was 30 minutes of waiting while 0 bytes downloaded and
then a timeout.  [I must say I would not be patient for 30 minutes of 0
bandwidth].

Continuing on, xmlsec failed to build.  I think the errors were all in evp.c

fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
1 warning and 20 errors generated.
make[3]: *** [libxmlsec1_openssl_la-evp.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error during phase build of xmlsec: ########## Error running make -j 5  ***
[45/72]

For this one I have no idea what to try next.