On 31/01/2018 16:09, Christopher Lam wrote:
Hi Matt- I thought this should move to the devel list, because of technical details, and this discussion will be very speculative.

I had a thought about how envelope budgeting could work: "divide your paycheck into separate envelopes for different purposes".

A solution: *Create another type of transaction.*

There's already u(n)reconciled, (c)leared, (y)reconciled, (v)oid transactions. And (f)rozen I believe is unused. Let's create a new type - (b)udget. But the balances are handled differently.

[snip]

What do we think of this?

The budget balance for an asset account represents "money remaining to allocate", and the budget balance for an expense account effectively represents "the upper limit that I'll allow this account to be". The budget balance, minus running balance represents "money left in envelope". I can increase envelope contents by transferring budget money from asset to the expense accounts.

I wouldn't know how to handle credit card nor loan interest.

I think it's an interesting thought experiment. The devil will be in the details.

The advantage will be that the underlying code can handle this augmented functionality without major difficulty (famous last words.)

this "problem" is already "solved" in our friendly ledger-cli applications.

It is *not* a case of gnc people not knowing what to do or how to do it.

for e.g. I am, at the moment, in the process of doing my multiple view portfolio analysis starting from

https://www.ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Asset-Allocation

which is more or less what envelope budgeting is plus a bit.

see

https://www.ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Working-with-multiple-funds-and-accounts

The reason I don't think this is likely to get done in gnc any time soon (think decades) is because the UI will never satisfy anyone.

My 2 free Trump cents.

--
Wm