On 2/2/2018 7:04 AM, Wm via gnucash-devel wrote:
On 31/01/2018 16:09, Christopher Lam wrote:
Hi Matt- I thought this should move to the devel list, because of technical details, and this discussion will be very speculative.

I had a thought about how envelope budgeting could work: "divide your paycheck into separate envelopes for different purposes".

A solution: *Create another type of transaction.*

There's already u(n)reconciled, (c)leared, (y)reconciled, (v)oid transactions. And (f)rozen I believe is unused. Let's create a new type - (b)udget. But the balances are handled differently.
I disagree that the time is yet ripe for this discussion to be on the developer's list. It should be there only AFTER the "what is wanted" has been fully defined from the user perspective. The reason some of you think the time IS ripe is that you are missing some of the potential complexities of the behavior desired << you are considering only the special case where the amounts are equal >> That I can see "special case" is that although I don't use "envelope budgeting" I frequently am dealing with an analogous situation where the amounts are sometimes equal and sometimes not*.

To see this limiting the context of "envelope budgeting" we need to realize that there are two types of envelope budgeting, strict << CAN'T use more than what is in an envelope >> and less strict where if an expenditure DOES use more than what is left in an envelope the remaining portion comes from some other envelope of general funds. I contend that this IS the real situation that most people using "envelope budgeting" face. Yes, you may have allocated a certain amount for the envelope for "dining out" or other discretionary activity BUT if the envelope say for "gasoline" doesn't contain enough to fill the tank you are likely to decide to skip going out for dinner rather than give up driving.

I am suggesting that IN GENERAL going to use manual adjustment/choices so the call to automate premature unless can deal with those issues.

Michael D Novack

* Examples from my world (accounting for non-profits)
The organization has a fund for "zero turn mower for orchard Y". The fund has built up to a balance of $2400 by the time the mower is purchased for $2700. All the funds in the special account are used plus $300 of general funds.

The organization sells tee shirts as a fund raiser. For non-profits, gross sales and cost of goods sold are line items on the 990/990-EZ. So the sale of a tee shirt is a debit to cash, a credit to gross sales, a debit to cost of goods sold, and a credit to tee shirt inventory << but presumably the latter two amounts are less than the first two or would not be making a "profit" >>

And yes, I am able to do a "two side split" transaction, but even for me might be quicker/easier to do it in two simple transactions.