On 13/02/2018 15:30, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
Michael,

I agree completely on the separation point, especially with regard to controls.

If you agree on that you are an idiot, Mike's POV is (if I understand correctly over a period of time) mainly a charitable one.

I’ve seen first hand when sales clerks have the ability to void and edit their
own transactions from a point of sales system. I can’t imagine the damage that
WOULD be done if they also had the ability to access the inventory system AND
the general accounting software. (even just the ability to partially close a
ticket is dangerous)

Why are you blaming the workers rather than the employers?

Why do you think a piece of software can help if you are shitting on your employees?

Mike, is this what you expected as a response? Adrien appears to be a person that trusts no-one.

Welcome to the tacky politics of Trumpian merka :(

As for interoperability, the devil is always in the details but I see three main hangups. First, any software should be able to import it’s own exports.

Yes, import and export should work but doesn't. I'm not fussed because I know how to make it happen anyway. I'm just not allowed to tell you how because a senior gets upset if I say.

Second, any software with imports should be able to allow the user an easy way to map fields and save that mapping for future use.

Not important, that is usually a one-off and gnc does that anyway.

Third, importing and exporting should be possible to schedule or trigger
without manual user intervention. (so apps can talk to each other reliably
without lag)

Wrong! I specifically do *not* want importing and exporting to happen without me saying so.

I think 3.0 is going to partially address the first and second case. I don’t
think the third is contemplated yet. The third is also dangerous for accounting
so it should be very carefully implemented and certainly not a default
condition.

The third is sufficiently dangerous that I say NO.

--
Wm