> On Sep 14, 2018, at 8:34 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnuc...@kobaltwit.be>
> wrote:
>
> Op vrijdag 14 september 2018 17:13:44 CEST schreef John Ralls:

>>> “For fullest consistency”: if you’re going to put one format into a
>>> folder, put every one in a folder.
>> But in the case of HTML there’s a good reason for the inconsistency. You’re
>> heading into hobgoblin territory.
>>>
>>> My build folder hierarchy is:
>>>
>>> build
>>>
>>> \guide
>>>
>>>   \C
>>>   \de
>>>
>>> [etc.]
>>>
>>> \help
>>>
>>>   \C
>>>   \de
>>>
>>> [etc.]
>>>
>>> IOW, the guide and help have separate hierarchies in build. I have no
>>> connection to code.gnucash.org, and have no knowledge as to how the
>>> information is stored there. ISTM that the structures of build
>>> environments should be consistent across systems.
>> Sure you do, it’s just indirect via GitHub.com.
>
> While true I doubt this is what Frank was referring to. As I understood he
> was
> referring to the directory structure where the nightly documentation builds
> are uploaded. And to make this upload easier the built docs are structured
> the
> way they are.
>
> And yes, this may be slightly confusing after a first build. However I
> believe
> adding directories for pdf, epub and mobi will not do much to improve the
> documentation process. It would mean you have to navigate one level deeper
> each time to find the relevant derived files. As someone sensitive to rsi,
> I'm
> not looking forward to that.
> I do think it keeps the main directory more tidy by grouping all html files
> in
> a subdirectory as it is now.

It was David T., not Frank, but no matter.

That repository is echoed to http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/
<http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/>. Since there’s no index.html except in
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/*/gnucash-guide/
<http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/*/gnucash-guide/> one may browse the directory
listings except those. As you say, it’s the same as the build results to
simplify copying from the build directory to gnucash-htdocs-docs, but that’s
scripted and user access to the docs is generally via
http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml <http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml> so the
actual layout of either the build directory or the website docs folder could
change without much impact... but frankly I don’t see any reason to change them.

Regards,
John Ralls