I could be mistaken as to your question, but you can include accounts with zero balances, but not show the actual zeros.

This allows you to not show zeros for 'header' accounts in your tree. (even if they aren't set as technical placeholders)

Omit Zero Balance Figures + Include Accounts with Zero Total Balances allows for this.

I think most of my reports are setup this way.

I agree, some re-wording of the preferences might help here, but not certain what that should be.

Regards,
Adrien