> On Nov 17, 2023, at 09:37, Stephen Cohoon <smcoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have created a set of patches I would like to push for a new feature
> (described below) that I have wanted for years.  I have not previously
> contributed to this project (other than a couple of bug reports) so I don't
> know the correct procedure to submit the code.  I expect to have some kind
> of code review and revisions as appropriate before it is accepted into the
> code base.  I made my changes and tested with today's stable branch.  I
> have tested it on my Linux machine and I ran make check which showed 100%
> pass.  I don't have a Windows machine to test with and it will be a while
> before I can test it on my Mac.
>
> What should I do next?  git push?
>
> THE PROBLEM:
> I have credit cards from multiple banks for which I use OFX/QFX transaction
> imports.  There is a lot of variability among these institutions as to how
> they populate the transaction fields.  At least one bank actually allows me
> to enter memo text through their website and mobile app. For this bank I
> want to append that memo text to the description field in the imported
> transaction. Other banks put text that does not interest me so I want to
> ignore it.  Currently, Gnucash does not give me the ability to control this
> on import in the way I want to.
>
> THE NEW FEATURE:
> I have added two check box options to the Account Edit window.  They
> function completely independently.  The OFX Append Memo option appends the
> Memo field of the OFX transaction record to the Description field in the
> imported transaction.  The OFX Suppress Notes option prevents the import
> from populating the Notes field in the imported transaction.

Put your changes in a feature branch and push that feature branch to your
Github fork of GnuCash, then create a pull request from there.

That said, I don't like your design: It doesn't make sense to clutter up the
accounts structure with configuration for OFX imports considering that even for
the fraction of users who even use OFX imports only a few accounts will have
such imports. You also need to take a wider view: There are three available
fields for storing text information and OFX <STMTTRN> objects provide 3
possible sources of text to put in them (two of them, NAME and PAYEE2, are
exclusive). A good general design would give the user wide latitude to place
the information from the OFX stream into the transaction's  text fields.

Regards,
John Ralls