Brian

Not that I'm an expert, but I figured I'd do your work for you and read over
the XBRL wikipedia article.

A few things pop out at me:
1) XBRL appears to be a framework for financial reports. There's a ton of
discussion in the article about developing taxonomies and extensibility, but
little detail on what the structures are or should be. This supports John's
concern that there isn't *one* structure.
2) The primary use case presented in the article is for annual statements for
SEC filings, again supporting John's question about who the primary audience is
(big businesses)
3) Initial tests of the spec found a high level of inaccuracy in the uses by
businesses, with a more recent analysis by Charles Hoffman in 2017 finding
"just" 10% inaccuracies. Nevertheless, the EU established 2020 as a deadline
for companies to add xbrl tags to their reports. I have no idea if they have,
but is this something the small Gnucash developer pool should take on? I don't
think so...

⁣David T.​