> On Feb 5, 2024, at 03:40, Kevin Buckley via gnucash-devel
> <gnucash-devel@gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> On Monday, February 5th, 2024 at 12:36, john <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>> Those XML changes sound like the wrong direction.
>> XML code needs to stay in libgnucash/backend, not get mixed in with
>> engine/QOF,
>> especially since the long-range plan is to turn XML into a backup format
>> with SQL being the primary storage and data access mechanism.
>
> As someone who's always liked the ability to view/edit the XML (OK, make
> that any plain text format) might I ask what is meant by "backup format",
> within the context of that plan?
>
> I'm struggling to think of what use a "backup" file, XML or otherwise,
> that one wouldn't be able to "restore" from, as in with File->Open,
> would be.
>
> Either an XML file encapsulates/serialises the GNC Book, as it was when
> it was backed up, or it doesn't, in which case how would such a file be
> used to do a "restore from backup"?

It would function as a portable alternative to the various SQL implementations'
backup mechanisms. While in theory a SQL DUMP query should be readable by any
SQL implementation the reality is that subtle differences in datatypes between
implementations mean that's not quite true.

You'd restore with File>Open.

Regards,
John Ralls