All those cards represent something that you own and can convert into stuff
of value. As such, they are assets, much like cash. They are not, in and of
themselves income, any more than cash is. They are not your liabilities,
which makes them different than credit cards, and should not be tracked
that way.

Well, I guess it matters what you mean by a "merchant card" -- if you mean
a credit card that can be used only at one merchant, then it's a credit
card; if you mean a gift card that can only be used at one merchant, then
it's a gift card.

Looking through my wallet, I see the following items:

A debit card
A credit card
A stored value card

The debit cards are tied to my bank accounts, and so any transaction I do
using them comes out of the relevant Asset account (debit Expense:Misc,
credit Asset:Bank)
The credit cards are tied to my credit accounts, and so any transaction I
do using them comes out of the relevant Liability account (debit
Expense:Misc, credit Liability:CreditCard)
The stored value cards ideally would each have their own asset account, and
each transaction I do using them references that account (debit
Expense:Food, credit Asset:StarbucksCard)

Come the holidays, I get from my mother a gift of a $50 Amazon.com gift
card. This is technically "income", and should ideally be recorded as such
(debit Assets:AmazonGiftBalance, credit Income:Gifts). When I buy something
from Amazon, I'd first credit the Assets:AmazonGiftBalance account.