GnuCash - User mailing list wrote
> If you have set the accounts as tax-related, why wouldn't you use the Tax
> Schedule Report?

I thought I addressed that in my post when I said "I find the provided "Tax
Schedule Report" as being les than ideal in its presentation of the
information I seek."

Look at the attached screenshot where I have side-by-side the portions of
the two reports information about "Tax Prep" expenses,  tax-prep.png
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t377531/tax-prep.png>  .  The Tax
Schedule report has 4 lines vs 1 in the Income Statement and the Tax
Schedule is almost twice as wide.  They convey the same USEFUL information
but the Tax Schedule takes almost 8 times the space.  Additionally, there is
the "noise" of other info on the Tax Schedule that intereferes with easily
accessing the info I want.  Please understand that this example is just
showing one data item, so the "noise" is not a major issue.  But when one
looks at the entire report with hundreds of lines of output (most of it
noise), then the noise really gets in the way. Yes the tax Schedule also
gives the line number on the tax form.  But that is useless info for me.  I
use tax prep software so I am not dealing with line numbers in forms.  But
also, it is not a number I can rely on as depending on the version of
gnucash and the tax year, that number will not always be accurate.

In addition, because of the lack of noise in the Income Statement, it is
easy to copy/paste the tax-related data into a spreadsheet (or whatever).
Yes, getting info out of gnucash for use in other things is something of
value to me. For example, in a spreadsheet where I have an added column that
tracks if a data item will have a tax form being sent to me and if that form
has been received or not. The spreadsheet makes it easy to keep track of
cross checking received form data with data in gnucash and data entered into
the tax return itself.

So for those reasons, I find the Income Statement format more useful.  I am
not saying the Income Statement is "better" for everyone, just that I find
it a useful alternative. Your mileage may vary.  I offer the tool for anyone
who finds it of value.