First, by ‘unable to install’ do you mean you can’t install the program at all
and can’t start it?

You indicate next that you create accounts and save your file, so I’d say you
HAVE managed to successfully install it. (‘Install’ means to make the
application able to run on your computer, if you can run it, you’ve installed
it)

Now, let’s tackle the file issue.

If the first time you saved your ‘book’ file after creating it, the location
you chose was your desktop, then yes, additional files will get created as you
use the software in that same location. These are mostly log files. The GnuCash
program icon should just be labeled ‘GnuCash’. Your book file should be labeled
with whatever name you gave it with a .gnucash extension. The log files will
end in .gnucash.log and start with the same name as your book file. There may
be other files from time to time, most likely a .lck file which is a lock file
used to prevent you from opening the same book file twice at once. It is
probably advisable instead to choose either a folder on your desktop if that’s
how you work, or a folder inside your Documents folder to store your GnuCash
‘book’ file.

When you next open GnuCash, it will attempt to re-open your last used file. As
long as it’s in the same place you saved it, this should be no issue. If you
move that file however, GnuCash won’t find it.

You have two options to resolve this:

1 - use the File > Open command in GnuCash then navigate to where you saved the
file, select it and open it.
2 - Before you start GnuCash, navigate to where you stored the file, double
click, or right-click and choose Open With and then GnuCash.

Either way, GnuCash will remember this new location for next time.

To answer your question about using the same file on Mac and Windows - yes you
can. But there is not yet sufficient functionality to successfully open it on
both machines at the same time and not cause data loss. Be sure to only use it
on one computer at a time. (If you tried to do so, you will get a warning
dialog, but you can choose to open it twice anyway, I’d advise against doing
so.)

The Tutorial & Concepts Guide and the Help Guide will serve you well. I would
suggest either browsing them online, or downloading a copy to have handy for
reference as you get your books set up.