Karen,

VISA is just a payment network. They are not a credit card company. They don’t
issue cards, or extend credit to anyone. Banks do that part and VISA allows
them to use the VISA brand on the bank’s cards. (which means payments will go
through the VISA network) Those cards can come in many forms. You’re probably
most familiar with the credit type associated with the brand, but branded debit
cards have been around since at least the early 90s. (I had one in ’92) Branded
gift/pre-paid cards are also now ubiquitous and are available at nearly any
retailer, grocery store and convenience store. MasterCard and AMEX also have
branded cards. I’m not aware of Discover having any cards other than the credit
type. (also VISA/MasterCard is pretty much the same company now)

On that note, here’s how you handle each type:

Credit - create a Credit Card type account. (you can just use a plain liability
account if you like, but GnuCash has a Credit Card type for you)

Debit - nothing special. It is merely a means to access your
checking/savings/money-market/other account, so just create one GnuCash account
for each real-world account. The fact that the account has an associated card
doesn’t affect this.

Gift/Pre-paid - Create a Current Asset account, potentially one for each card.

I have mine set up as Assets:Current Assets:Prepaid Expenses:Gift Cards &
Pre-paid Cards, and then under that various purposes like ‘restaurants’,
‘groceries’, ‘shops’, ‘movies’, et cetera, with an account under each of those
for each individual card. (so I can track the remaining balance easily) Some
people lump all their pre-paid cards together since they are usually not
reloaded (though you can) and discarded when empty. I don’t mind having them
separate, not just because I don’t usually spend them all in one shot and like
to see the balance at a glance, but also because I have several that are
received as recurring gifts so the GnuCash account tends to hang around for
many years.