On 7/26/2018 11:21 AM, John Ralls wrote:

  or as a separate program that maintains all of the HR stuff and just sends
the financial transactions to GnuCash.
<< Just back from camping in the woods >>

THAT is the sense I meant, though I would not think of it as a "plug in" but possibly one of several external programs that were keeping their own sort of data (like Payroll having HR data; Inventory having things like shelving location, reorder levels, alternate supply vendors, one like POS sending feeds to both Accounting ad Inventory, etc.)

All sharing the same feed format << and each "make" dependent on THAT but not each other, or for that matter gnucash except with regard to the format of the feed >>

However "feed format" goes two ways, also a common ERROR format by which the (new) input edit component reports WHY a feed was rejected (or part of a feed if on a transaction by transaction basis).

Michael