At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 07:48:52 -0500 (CDT) randix <butterands...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Colin... I'm so desperate to get gnucash back, I'll take the 1950
> version!!!!!
>
> When I go to gnucash.org and click on the distributable option, all I get
> are options for windows and mac. For Linux it says, what I am printing
> below. Obviously I did not get a "linux distribution" I simply turned it on
> in chromebooks.  When I go to look at older versions, I don't see a linux
> install option.  Not only do I not have a desire to build it from scratch, I
> wouldn't know where to start.
>
> Is there no place I can download a file apparently with a "deb" extension
> for a linux install?????????  I don't care what version it is.  Or am I
> missing something (again)???

This is the deal: The gnucash.org site only has Mac and MS-Windows versions of
gnucash.org. In the Mac and MS-Windows there isn't any sort of OS supported
repository of software (except what Apple and Microsoft (or their "partners")
*sell* -- there isn't a group of people maintaining a collection of open
source software that can be installed with the OS's package management system
-- dpkg/apt-get for Debian flavored (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and (appearently)
ChromOS), rpm/yum for RedHat flavors (Fedora, RHEL/CentOS, Mandrake, Suse,
etc.). Since ChromOS is based on Debian, you need a .deb file (this is the
binary built for a Debian flavored Linux and is something dpkg knows how to
deal with and it is what apt-get will snarf from a repository and pass onto
dpkg. (Appearently there are GUI / point-and-click wrappers for dpkg and/or
apt-get).

Many advanced / adventuresome Linux users will download the source and have
all kinds of fun (at the command line) with the likes of configure and make to
build gnucash from source, but it sounds like that is beyond your skill /
knowledge / comfort level. Otherwise most Linux users will either do

apt-get install gnucash
OR
yum install gnucash

Depending on the flavor of Linux they are using and this will install a
version of GnuCash that was built just for their flavor of Linux.  These
*binary* versions are built and maintained by the keepers of the Linux open
source repositories and are updated from time to time.  It does not appear
to be as easy to do this for ChromOS, but it appears to be *close*.  There
appears to be things you can do to hook into the base Debian or possibly a
Debian-derived repository (Ubuntu) and get a .deb file when can then be
installed on your Chromebook.  A little extra work, but it looks like it is
doable.

> ----------------
> Linux
> Most linux distributions come bundled with a version of GnuCash, though it's
> not always the most recent version and it may not have been installed by
> default. Still it is recommended to use the GnuCash version that comes with
> your distribution.
>
> Below are ways to install GnuCash on some of the more popular distributions:
>
> Fedora: Fedora users can install GnuCash through
> System->Administration->Add/Remove Software (Gnome) or
> Applications->System->Software Management (KDE).
> Mandriva: Mandriva users can install GnuCash through the Software Management
> in the Mandriva Linux Control Center.
> Redhat/Centos: Redhat and CentOS don't have GnuCash in their repositories by
> default. It can be installed however from the third-party Epel repository.
> For more details on configuring this additional software repository for your
> setup, see Epel's wiki page.
> Solus: Solus users can install GnuCash through the Software Center (Office
> Software -> Financial Software -> gnucash).
> Ubuntu: Ubuntu users can install GnuCash through the Software Center. This
> will install GnuCash under the Office category in the Applications menu.
> If your distro doesn't ship with GnuCash or you wish to install a different
> version than it ships with, you could try to build GnuCash directly from the
> source code. The GnuCash wiki has guidelines for several distributions.
>
> Source code
> bzip2 compressed tarball for GnuCash 3.3
>

> --

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services