On 9/13/2019 1:50 PM, Bob Hammons wrote:
The trouble was Windows Defender in a recent update blocked Gnucash,  Quicken
and Open Office data directories.
This was in the Ransom ware section
Here is a website that explains how to fix this
Wasn't very nice of MS to do this without any notice that these programs would
be blocked
Thanks again for you help I did learn a little more about Windows but something
new will pop up I am sure.
That does not seem to me to be much of an explanation. I don't know about Quicken, but with either OpenOffice (I use LibreOffice) or Gnucash the "data directories" (the directory in which the data lives AND where the lock file will be created) is up to you. Certainly MS didn't block "Documents" (the parent directory where LibreOffice documents likely placed).

If, what you are referring to are default locations which these applications might use IF you failed to specify where your documents were to be put that's another matter. I'm not at all sure I would be so critical of MS in that case. It is a really bad idea for people to allow applications to simply place data wherever so you don't KNOW the location. For example, if you don;t know the location, how do you know what directories you want copied to your backup device (you DO make periodic backups, right?).

Thus, if I Know that ALL such data would be in the "Documents" tree (organized by sub directories so you can find things) then you know your backup procedure would want to copy "Documents" (and everything in it) when making a backup. In which case you don't need to think of separate backup for each application.

When you create a new set of books in gnucash (a new file) the FIRST action you should take after opening it should be a "save as" to the desired location << say in a directory under documents named "Gucash Books" --although there I would have a directory for each set of books since I keep several -- that makes it easier to clean out old log/session backups for a particular set of books since those, and the lock file, will be in the directory where the file is >>

Michael D Novack
PS ---- when some of us say "directory" that is not different from what you know of as a "file folder". We just learned before it was graphical.

Michael D Novack