On 9/14/2019 5:59 PM, R. Victor Klassen wrote:

Well, actually, yes.

And it makes sense.  They’re trying to protect you from ransomware - software
that encrypts your stuff and then offers to give you the decryption key if you
pay up.
The idea is that a known list of applications are allowed to touch files in the
protected directories, and you can add tru
AH ....my misunderstanding is because of how described. Coming from the mainframe world (my working days) the concept of "authorized" programs and directories is quite familiar to me. In that environment there was also a level of authorization based on the login of who was running the program. Normal security to me. The threat less things like ransom ware (full back up daily) than selective changes by a malicious user << which would likely be on all generations of backups before being discovered >>

Since I am about to retire this old X200 under 7 replacing with a W541 under 10 I can see I will have a choice to make. Either add the apps I will be installing to the authorized app list or turning the feature off.

We might consider an addition to the documentation for installing gnucash under Windows 10 << add to list of authorized apps >>

I think this is in general a good idea on a shared computer. In my case, my wife is too non-techie to even think of trying to install something. But if we had grandkids living with us? << the great grands are too young to mess with computers >>

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality
of the grave.