Hi,

In the last couple of days, I have learned TONS about how to manage capital gains with assorted lots in the GnuCash realm. The financial institution I use has algorithms that adjust my accounts to minimize tax implications. This results in sales against specific lots within GnuCash, and I've been able to match sales with specific lots and achieve numbers in GnuCash which match the institution's calculations. All good!

However, I have one account with a single purchase, followed by a two for one split, followed by a partial sale. Using the lots in this case, however, yields wildly variant and incorrect results. In the attached image, you can see the full transaction history, along with the lots window indicating the assignment of the February sale to Lot 0 with a loss of $169.96.

This happens because 7*53.29 (the original share price) = $373.03, and 203.07 - 373.03 = -169.96

If I choose to use Lot 2 for the match, the result is $203.07 gain (7*0=$0 cost). This also is wrong.

The correct calculation is: $203.07 - (7 * 53.29 / 2) = $16.55, which is what the institution is reporting. I am hesitant to adjust the gain value to match this amount, as I suspect that GnuCash will then report the account as out of balance. I have seen in the past that incorrect gains calculations can throw off the balance sheet, with painful remedies and memories. My questions here are:

1) Is there a way to have GnuCash properly track cost basis in an account with a stock split?

2) If I arbitrarily change the gains transaction, will subsequent balance sheet numbers be in balance?

3) What is the proper way to handle a stock split?

TIA,

David T.