On 2/22/2022 1:31 PM, Steve Butler wrote:
Please plan a compressive backup strategy for your entire system.  Include
email, Libre Office documents, other misc files and not just GnuCash.

That way it won't matter where files are "hidden" as you will have a
complete backup strategy that isn't specific to any particular application.

I second that. Your problem is not how to back up all of your gnucash data but ALL of your user data. You need a comprehensive plan. As for where your user data is, going to be somewhere in your user directory. If you make a backup of that, you have made a backup of all your user data.

Your real decisions should be things like "how often do I make backups" and how long each type kept. Thus I keep "year end" backups forever, the monthly backups for more than a year.  If you are also making more frequent backups think in terms of when they would be have been duplicated by one of the longer term backups.

Give serious consideration to making copies of the longer term backups that can live off site (at least in another building). In 2006 I had a house fire. Everything i the room that burned was of course toast, but devices and medium in other parts of the house were damaged by smoke and water. Only about half  back-up data could be recovered (and my insurance DID have coverage to pay a data recovery lab to try). :Learned my lesson. Now a second copy (another external drive) "lives" in a fire box inside a dead fridge in the barn-garage.

Michael