Yesterday's tracefile showed a successful login to the `gnucash` database,
today's shows a connection failure. Notice that after the login failure it
didn't do anything except load the currencies, something that's hardcoded in
GnuCash. Yesterday's got into a loop trying to run a scrub on budgets; that
scrub is part of the 4.x->5.x upgrade process.

The "Bad or corrupt database" error can indeed come from a login failure, but
there are lots of other errors that can produce it and you have to look in the
tracefile to see which one. Today's tracefile says:

* 06:54:25  INFO <qof.session> [QofSessionImpl::load_backend]  Selected provider
 GnuCash Libdbi (MYSQL) Backend
* 06:54:25  INFO <gnc.backend.dbi> [error_handler] DBI error: 1045: Access denie
d for user 'gnucash'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
* 06:54:25  INFO <gnc.backend.dbi> [error_handler] Note: GbcDbiSqlConnection not
 yet initialized. Skipping further error processing.
* 06:54:25 ERROR <gnc.backend.dbi> [GncDbiBackend<Type>::session_begin()] Unable
 to connect to database 'gnucash'

That confirms that you have an authentication problem. If you're using the same
userid for both the  InitFin and gnucash databases maybe you just need to grant
access to that user on the gnucash db.

I'd like to know the circumstances surrounding the trading accounts creating
transactions with no account. That would be a pretty bad bug.

Regards,
John Ralls