David,

> On Sep 17, 2023, at 6:32 AM, (Alan) David Smith <smit...@smith54.karoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
> Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000039
> Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000039

[snip]
> Thread 0 Crashed::  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
> 0   libglib-2.0.0.dylib                              0x10dbebb44
> g_hash_table_lookup + 36
> 1   libgnc-engine.dylib                          0x10d6a2335
> gncTaxTableGetTables + 21
> 2   libgnc-gnome.dylib                          0x109dd90b2
> gnc_simple_combo_generate_liststore + 50
> 3   libgnc-gnome-utils.dylib                 0x10a26099e
> gnc_gui_refresh_internal + 222

That seems to point to an invalid hash table in the book object, though I don't
see in the code where that would happen. Regardless, try this:
* Open a Finder window and select Go>Go to folder from the menu or press
shift-command-g.
* In the dialog type ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash/books.
* Find the file corresponding to your data file name with a .gcm extension,
e.g. "my_file.gcm" and move it to Trash.
* Start GnuCash

I think you have an invoice tab open and something about its Tax Table listbox
is causing GnuCash to crash. Removing the .gcm file will start GnuCash with
only the Accounts tab and if I'm right will avoid the crash.

Regards,
John Ralls