If you remember that the reconciliation endting balance was correct in
GnuCash fairly recently a process that will actually work would be to
unreconcile all transaction splits after a given date, then re-reconciling
each month after that date with your bank statements handy.  To go back
more than a few months would be incredibly tedious.  If you try this it
would be wise to make a working copy of your data file rather than use your
real data file.

Remember that it is possible that one or more transaction splits having any
date may have been deleted, changed  or re-assigned to a different account,
and those may be rather hard to find.

Another possibility would be if there are months when the running balance
matches the bank statement exactly...

On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 2:56 PM john <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > On Nov 13, 2023, at 07:20, Mahon Finbar via gnucash-user <
> gnucash-user@gnucash.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > The recent discussion on reconciliation was helpful in trying to sort
> out some anomalies I have.
> >
> > When I do the latest reconciliation of one of my accounts the opening
> balance is 10,448.43 and gives me an amount of inbalance which is way off.
> >
> > Following the advice in the recent posts I tried working backwards to
> see if I could find any errors.
> >
> > I got close to 0.00 from time to time and was satisfied enough to
> consider a balancing entry, but was intrigued on where the 'error' might
> have been.
> >
> > I set off to see where, but, in the course of my search, I tried to find
> the number 10,443.43 in the account, as a baseline, but didn't find one.
> >
> > If I understand the process of reconciliation the number should be
> somewhere in the account, should it not??
> >
> > Just tell me I am barking up the wrong tree, if I am making an error.
>
> The reconcile info dialog that comes up when you click the reconcile
> button has two balances: Starting balance and Ending balance. The first is
> the reconciled balance for the account, that is the sum of all of the
> splits in the account marked as reconciled. That's different from the
> opening balance, which is the amount in the account when you created it in
> GnuCash. The starting balance should match the starting balance on your
> statement. If it doesn't then there's a mistake in reconciling a previous
> statement and you need to either make a correcting entry in your account to
> get it to match or dig through previous statements to try to find the
> discrepancy. The Ending balance is what you should enter from your account
> statement or your bank's website. It defaults to the balance of the last
> transaction on the date you entered in the Reconciliation date entry.
>
> When you finish that dialog the reconcile window opens and in the lower
> left it shows the balances from the info window followed by Reconciled
> balance and Difference, which update as you tick off transactions in the
> two panes of the window; you should tick off the transactions that match
> your statement, paying close attention to the amounts: Reconciliation is
> all about making sure that there aren't any differences. Fix any
> differences in the register and press enter to commit the change and it
> will be immediately reflected in the  reconcile window. Once you have
> marked all of the transactions the Ending and Reconciled balances should
> match, Difference should be 0, and the Finish button in the toolbar should
> be enabled.
>
> You might not have a transaction balance matching the reconciled balance
> if you have unbalanced transactions previous to the last reconciled one.
> The "R" column between Transfer Account and Debit/Deposit shows each
> transaction's reconciled status: y for reconciled, n for unreconciled, c
> [...]

David Carlson