I suspect that this topic comes up about every New Year - perhaps it is
worth putting in a FAQ (if it's not in one), and perhaps posting the FAQ
monthly to this list. In the relatively short time I've been on this list,
I definitely see some repeated questions, including this end-of-year
question that I created, and therefore may have errors in it.

-------
Question: "How do I start a new year in GnuCash?" Alternatively, "How do I
close out the old year in GnuCash?"

Answers as far as I can remember them:
General Answer: You need to determine precisely what you are trying to
accomplish in GnuCash. You may not need to do anything (see A1). If you
want to keep a backup-copy of the previous year, see A2. If you want to
close the books in the accounting sense (reset the balances of the income
and expense accounts), see A3.

A1: There is no necessity to take any action at the start of a New Year.
GnuCash can keep several years of data in its compressed XML file without
it growing too large.

A2: The best thing to do here is to be sure that there is no additional
transactions for end-of-year, run whatever end-of-year reports you need,
then shut down GnuCash and copy your main data file to some safe place. If
that area supports it, consider marking the file as read-only. You should
probably note the year in the name: "SmithFamilyFY2022.gnucash" or
something like that. There is no need to delete old data (see A1).

A3: See the GnuCash Manual, section 8.9 for a discussion about how to do
this task, along with the caveats.