You could add A2b:

Export your Chart of Accounts and write down the ending balances as needed. Start a new file, import your exported chart of accounts and set opening balances to the old ending balances.

This method is more like Pen & Paper days in that each file only contains one period (year in this case) of data.

-----
As for A2(a), there's not really a solid way to 'mark' a file as read-only if you have access to the file. (anyone determined enough can edit it) Some folks write it to a CD-ROM, but that's about as good as you could expect.

In addition, some folks also archive PDF copies of their year-end reports with the file. While the file could always be changed after the fact, the reports reflect the state of the accounts as of when they were generated. (which of course are no more immutable than the file, but at least offer a reference point)