You can certainly do so. The exact work flow can vary depending on your precise needs.

I don't often have very long transactions (30 or more items) but it does happen a few times a year. I frequently have transactions with at least 5 or so 'splits'.

I'd recommend experimenting with either View > Transaction Journal (my preference) or View > Auto Split. That way, if most of your transactions need to show individual line item info, you can see it when you enter the transaction (Auto Split) or always see that level of detail for all transactions. (Transaction Journal) The default view will be least helpful to you.

You will not likely be able to easily auto-add tax per line, but can certainly put in tax lines manually. (such as one line for food, one for medicine, etc.) GnuCash can help with the math here. I put the rate and amount in the memo section and then type in the formula in the debit column. (e.g., $15.99 * .0845) GnuCash will replace your formula with the result showing what the calculated tax amounts to.

Another (but a bit more complicated) option is to put all such transactions into 'Vendor Bills' which can do taxes per line, exclusive or inclusive of price. But this requires much more careful setup and may or may not work for your particular situation.

Most importantly, if you need reporting at all on this detail, it has to be entered somehow into GnuCash. Do not just aggregate and enter the result. (don't consolidate line items. Enter each one separately as its own split, but do enter them in the same transaction if that is how they occurred.)