Kevin,

Split is a misnomer for the two or more entries to two or more accounts
which constitute a transaction.  It derives from the name given to the
internal data structure used in the GnuCash coding to represent each
entry of a transaction. The other aspect of a transaction is that the
sum of the debit entries and the sum of credit entries of the
transaction must be equal. This is a necessary part of the double entry
accounting system.

When you create a transaction in GnuCash it is usually done in the
register (display of the existing transactions in a given account -
quite often an account representing a bank account for example).  The
View Menu item allows you to set either the Basic Ledger, Auto-Split
Ledger, or Transaction Journal mode for the display.

You begin by entering the date and Description in the appropriate
fields on a blank line at the bottom of the register display. In Auto-
Split Mode you will see a second line open up with an Action heading on
the left hand side.
This is the first entry (or split) of the transaction. The Description
field on this line is a memo only associated with this entry of the
transaction. You can enter something appropriate or leave it blank. If
you click somewhere in this second line, it usually changes color
indicating that it is active. The four columns on the right are the
Account, Debit, Credit and Balance.

If you then left click on the Account column a down pointing arrow
appears at the right of the column. left clicking on the arrow will
bring up a dropdown list of the accounts you have setup in your books
from which you select an account appropriate to the transaction.

Nest you enter an amount in either the debit or credit column (which
will depend upon the account selected and the nature of the
transaction. ( see the basic concepts section in the GnuCash
guide (https://gnucash-docs-rst.readthedocs.io/en/latest/guide/C/ch_basics.html
).

If you then hit the <Tab> key anothe line will open up - this is where
you enter the data for the second entry of the transaction.  Again
there is a memo fiels associated with this entry and you will notice
that the amount you enetred in either the debit or credit column on the
first line will automatically be enterd in the other column on this
line. If your transaction only has two entries this will be the
appropriate value to enter.

Again if you left click in the Account field the Arrow to select from
the list of accounts will appear and you select the account appropraite
for the transaction you are entering.

If the transaction only has two entries, then you are done and if you
hit the <Enter> key, the transaction will be added.

If your transaction has more than 2 entries (e.g. a purchase where you
pay a tax which you must account for the tax), change the debit or
credit column amount to the amount that is appropriate for the account
you have selected and instead of hitting the <Enter> key, hit the <Tab>
key.
A third line will now open up. The debit or credit column will display
an amount where with the debit and credit entries on the previous two
lines the sum of debita and credits will be equal.  Again you can
optionally enter a comment in the memo field and select an account by
clicking in the account field as on the previous lines.

If this completes the transaction you are entering hit the e<Enter> key
to record the transaction and if another entry is required  change the
value of the debit or credit entry as appropriate then  again hit the
<Tab> key to get anothe new line and repaet as above until you have
entered all the entries for your transaction.

David Cousens