On 2024-04-20 22:10, Jonathan Drews wrote:
>  I am complete novice to double entry accounting. I have GnuCash
> successfully installed:
>
> $ gnucash --version
> GnuCash 5.5
> Build ID: 5.5+(2023-12-16)
> on: OpenBSD 7.5 GENERIC.MP#82 amd64

> Can anyone recommend some good books or tutorials on double entry
> acoounting? I searched the arcchives but did not find any posts on
> recommended books.

Welcome to GnuCash, Jonathan!

I think you want the Tutorial and Concepts Guide, on the Web at
        https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=5&lang=C&doc=guide
or in downloadable PDF at
        https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide.pdf

The accounting part is section 2.1 (or page 11 in the PDF), and the
whole Guide takes you through an extended example. Depending on your
learning style, you can just read through the Guide, or follow along and
actually create the accounts and transactions as you go.

> I am opening a fabric store in early May and want to use GnuCash to>
keep track of my sewing fabric sales and inventory. It's pretty
> modest. About 280 individual items. Are there any examples of
> *.gnucash files I can use as a template?
GnuCash itself gives you the option of adopting a "starter" set of
accounts, which you can then customize to your specific situation. See
"New Account Hierarchy Setup" in the Guide.

Best wishes for good fortune in your business!

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com/