On 5/4/2024 1:18 PM, Brian Higgins via gnucash-user wrote:
I really need to talk with someone to get this right. My equity opening balance is $ 6802.59 ( close enough) on 1/1 24,  and my check register is $3892.258 on 1/1/24 and my petty cash is $5 on 1/1 /24, so why does my equity account value on show up as equal to the assets?  I thought the equity account would show as the balance of all owners investment in the business, and as a liability, and thus a negative number.  Would a bookkeeper or accountant who may not be familiar with Gnucash be able to help me figure this out? Note: I have returned the Equity parent account to placeholder, and I see there is an Opening Balance Equity as a child account of that. So really, is my opening balance equity just the total of my assets on 1/1/24, or is it a register snapshot of a capital account, as of Jan 1st,  meaning all the $ I have shoveled into this turkey since day one, starting back in  2021? I feel I should enter $ 6802.59, and I think that goes on the credit side,  ( an increase in GnuCash)) since it is a 'special liability', where the bank account was debited that amount, over time, in 2021. I am starting these books fresh as of Jan 1 2024.
Thank you, I just need some hands on help getting me started.

You need to get a grasp of double entry bookkeeping concepts, not just "doing it using gnucash" as opposed to say "pen and ink on paper". The tutorial might or might not be enough. If you need more on basics, seek out a standard "bookkeeping or  accounting 101" .text.

a) At the start, it might (or might not) forget all about negative numbers. After all, double entry bookkeeping goes back to before European math accepted negative numbers (yes, it IS that old). The "senses" are debit and credit (not positive and negative)

b) Yes, if you have NO liabilities, then total assets (debit) equals total equity (credit)

c) In a set of books, total debits will equal total credits. Easy to see. The set of books starts out empty. Each transaction will have at least one debit and one credit and the total debits on the transaction will equal the total credits on the transaction.

d) The shortcut of allowing you to create accounts with "starting values" has confused you by hiding the "c" (the underlying transaction). You possibly would've been less confused had you been required to create accounts at zero and then enter an explicit transaction to set the initial value because then you would have SEEN the other side of that transaction << the "starting balance" account under Equity >> This would especially be true if this business had multiple owners.

Michael D Novack