Brian,

The entry recording your opening balaces will have debit amounts to
your asset accounts and equal credit amounts to the Equity:Opening
Balance accounts. For Liability accounts the entry will be credit
amounts with corresponding  debit amounts to the Equity:Opening
Balances.

This is how double antry accounting works, each transaction consists of
at least one debit and one credit entry (there can be more) where the
sum of the debit and credit entries are equal.

If you set the preferences (Edit->Preferences->Account_>Use Formal
Accounting Labels checked)  and in the Register defaults check Auto-
split Register, when you select a transaction it will open with two or
more lines. AT least one line usually the first will affect the
register you are working in and subsequent entries will affect other
accounts.

Your opening transaction for the amount of your check account will
appear as follows in the Account and Debit and Entry columns of the
register:

Account                  Debit      Credit
Asset: Cheque Account    3892.25
Equity: Opening Balance             3892.25

with similar entries for all your other assest accounts and entries
with reversed debit and creits for the liability accounts.

If this does not make sense then you will need to read a bit more on
the basics of double entry accounting. There is a brief summary int the
GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide
(https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_basics.html) .

David Cousens