I would like to keep the private portion of my primary key stored offline and use an expiring secondary key for day to day signing. To accomplish this I have tried backing up the key after creating the secondary signing key, then attempting to delete the private portion of the primary key from the key ring, but even when I explicitly specify the primary key ID to delete with --delete-primary-keys, the secondary private key is also removed.

How can I remove ONLY the private part of the primary key, and not the secondary key(s)?