On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 09:06:20AM +1100, Ben McGinnes wrote:

Although I've received other email from the OP that did not include
the footer, so now I'm curious to know where it came from, especially
since he is using the GMail MX servers.

Hi Ben,

I exchanged a few emails off list with the OP as well, and that led us to conclude that most likely the original mail also included a HTML-part (scrubbed off by the mailing list?) which caused the signature to fail. The legal mumbo jumbo disclaimer was added by the MUA and not the MTA, so I imagine enigmail properly signed the footer and my original assumption that the MTA was to blame was incorrect.

Cheers,

Remco