On 22/06/2021 07:47, Brandon Anderson via Gnupg-users wrote:

If you know the recipient, then solving the latter is easy. Ask the recipient
to resend the message encrypted with your new key.

In my setup, when something is sent, only the encrypted mail is sent to

my sent folder, so if I were asked as you suggest, I would have no way to send the letter without rewriting it; I assume this is true for others as well. But even so, if it's old mail, the request may be impossible.

For the benefit of the archives, it is possible to encrypt outgoing emails to your own key as well as the recipient's key, which ensures that the sent-mail folder is readable by the sender. Most email clients will do so by default (e.g. mutt, thunderbird/enigmail), and in most such clients all you need to do to re-encrypt to the recipient's new subkey is "Edit" -> "Send" or similar. So in the general case this is a reasonable request, although it cannot be relied upon (of course).

--
Andrew Gallagher