Thank you, Werner, for your helpful reply.

One thing I would like to check. You said that gpg
--locate-external-key -v f...@example.org can be used to test this, and
that works. The wiki (https://wiki.gnupg.org/WKDHosting) says to use
gpg --homedir "$(mktemp -d)" --verbose --locate-keys
your.em...@example.org ... and this doesn't work.

Should I be concerned? Do I need to change something for the latter
example to work? Or is that deprecated now and your example is the
valid one?

Regards

Philip