Hey list,

OpenKeychain maintainer here. As Werner chose to omit some details here that seem pertinent, I will add:

No, it is not because you are delaying the deployment of new and a much
faster algorithm mode.

The packet format referred to here is GnuPG-specific. In November 2023, GnuPG forked the OpenPGP standard as "LibrePGP", in protest of the upcoming OpenPGP revision. See https://librepgp.org/

LibrePGP specifies the packet format that GnuPG now emits by default. However, this packet format will be different from the upcoming RFC specifying the next OpenPGP revision.

> Unfortunately a small group of people seem to sabotage this strategy
> by rejecting the new mode despite that it has been implemented by
> their crypto library.

The "small group of people" that Werner is accusing of sabotage here is the IETF OpenPGP working group, and implementations that choose to implement the new OpenPGP RFC over LibrePGP. The background on this whole ordeal is complicated to say the least, but it is well established that the points of contention are rooted in personal conflict, and thus by nature extremely difficult to work with.

All the major implementers (Ribose RNP, GnuPG, BouncyCastle, OpenPGP.js)
took great care to first deploy the software with support for the new
mode before actually creating keys with a preference for that mode [1].
Ultimately, as a user you can currently choose between a format that will not be part of the upcoming RFC, but is supported by GnuPG (and many other implementations, including those mentioned above). Or a format that will be standardized as an RFC, but is not supported by GnuPG (but many other implementations, including all mentioned above).

Due to this situation, many distributors (at least: Thunderbird, Debian, Arch, Fedora, NixOS, GPG Suite for macOS) have decided to hold back emission of the LibrePGP packet format for now. OpenKeychain will also follow suit here.

Cheers

 - V