Hi Vincent!

Thanks a lot for this insight!

When it comes to encryption, I would consider myself a "power user", but still a user. I never heard of all this until now. What I, from the perspective of an end-user, saw was: I generate a new key. And then: "Pass no work on me phone anymore, OpenKeychain bad!" ;-)

This whole thing is awkward. As a normal user, you currently have no chance to even know this.

So, is what they propose in the Arch wiki the way to go to stick to non-embattled interoperable settings? (setpref AES256 AES192 AES SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224 ZLIB BZIP2 ZIP)?

I see the rationale for a performant block cipher. But that's nothing I need for my use-case; there's simply no advantage at all. Most probably for most users. So if there's no broad consensus about this, such an option should be hidden behind some "expert" flag, for people knowing what they do, and who are willing to trade off interoperability for performance. It should not be a default setting letting users like me run into problems they can't grasp without deep research.

I don't want to join a "faction". I don't want to participate in a religious war. I just want to use encryption ...

I'll file a Gentoo bug about this and see what the devs/maintainers say.

Cheers, Tobias