Can you be specific about the type of elastic agents you are creating and
the plugin you are using. Kubernetes? Docker? Something else? There are
many elastic agent plugins.

> Here's where it gets tricky: when the staging job completes and triggers
> the production job, I expect one of the active agents to take over.
> Instead, the production job attempts to launch new agents, fails due to the
> max count limit, and runs without any agents, leading to failure.

I believe elastic agents are generally launched sequentially - i.e a new
one won't be launched until there are no pending-launch ones - but this
depends on the specific elastic agent type.

If you are new to elastic agents, you'll want to be aware that in almost
all elastic agent plugin variants the elastic agents are
single-shot/single-job usage, and are not re-used. The specific type of
elastic agent and its plugin implementation defines how it handles such
things though, so need to know specifics to guess.

Look at the specific elastic agent plugin's log on the server to see what
it is doing. Perhaps your elastic agents are not shutting down
automatically for some reason due to a configuration issue or a problem
with the jobs you are running?

-Chad