Dr. Helekar,

I am skeptical of your referenced sex ratio of India (1.08) and  (China
(1.21).
Governments are known to skew embarrassing census data by under- or
misreporting statistics, or misclassifying.
After all female - infanticide and feticide - are morally repugnant.

I refer you to this PLOS article (May 2008) where the study authors found a sex
differential not in keeping with the figures you quoted, and concluded that the
Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (Regulation and Prevention of Misuse) (PNDT)
Act of 1994 which made antenatal sex determination and sex selective abortion
illegal in India, was ineffectual.

'Missing Girls in India: Infanticide, Feticide and Made-to-Order Pregnancies?
Insights from Hospital-Based Sex-Ratio-at-Birth over the Last Century'.
Mohit Sahni1, Neeraj Verma1, D. Narula1, Raji Mathew Varghese1, V. Sreenivas2,
Jacob M. Puliyel1*
  1 Department of Neonatology and Pediatrics, St. Stephens Hospital, Delhi,
India, 2 Department of Biostatistics, All India Institute of Medical Science,
New Delhi, India

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0002224

 In Indian society  which is still mainly rural and agrarian, where women are
marginalised  - viewed as a liability, a drain on the family assets - would not
having been born be merciful and compassionate a fate than having to endure in
later life being trafficked and sold into prostitution,  subjected to domestic
violence, burnt and killed  for dowry?

India reports about 8,000 dowry deaths  a year – an underestimate. This despite
the 1961 Dowry Prohibition Act.

I think you will agree that until the role of women in Indian society changes
violence against them will continue.

Best,
I. Nunes

On Sun, 7/3/11, Santosh Helekar <chimbel...@yahoo.com> wroteMr. Nunes,