Just to turn away from the hotly-debated issue of English, I come to
the FIH Champions Challenge I, which is being played at Johannesburg,
South Africa.  I had mixed feelings when Canada lost to Argentina 3-2,
after taking the lead twice, and India thrashed South Africa 7-4, on
the second day of the tournament.
Canada put up a good show against its rivals, who are ranked higher
than Canada and, if I am right, had defeated Canada in the final of
the Pan-American Games.  It was an engrossing match, with Canadian
goalkeeper Carter denying Argentina at least two sure goals. Canada
had couple of chances late in the game to equal the score but failed.
The India-SA match was thrilling till the 4-4 stage, after which India
spurted ahead. India led 3-1 at half-time but SA came back strongly.
India then was ahead 4-2 when South Africa played aggressively to
level the scores at 4-all.
The match showed India's class, making some fine moves.
On the first day, Canada scored a facile 3-1 win over Malaysia. Canada
took the lead from a penalty-corner and Malaysia then made it 1-1,
also from a penalty-corner. Canada held the upper hand and then put
the match safely past the rivals with two more goals.
The India-Belgium match saw a great battle as both teams fought
fiercely and deserved to share points. Down by a goal at half-time,
India rallied to draw level and then move ahead. Belgium did not lose
hope and kept on attacking the India goal and found the equaliser. But
Belgium again went down 2-3, and it when it seemed India would wrap
the match in its favour the Belgians found the Indian net to make it
3-3.
While it was good to see a Goan, Ken Pereira, lead the side, it was
saddening to see not a single Goan in the Indian squad. I am not sure
if Keegan Pereira  the reserve goalkeeper) is a Goan. Ken is the
most-capped Canadian player. I haven't kept track of the Indian side
and so I am not sure when was the last time a Goan played in the
national team. Maybe hockey lovers on this forum can provide the
answer. Along with the Sikhs, Goans formed the backbone of the
national teams of the past.

Eugene

                       Protect Goa's natural beauty

                    Support Goa's first Tiger Reserve