Howdy folks, yes, Ludo is correct. This is a new program we introduced into
private alpha recently, so if you're a Python 2, Java 6-8, or Go 1.6-1.11
user, this is the time to prototype an upgrade to Python 3, Java 11, and Go
1.12+. Keep in mind that not *all* previously built-in services will be
available and that new features/innovation will only happen w/the
standalone products like Cloud Datastore, Cloud Memorystore, Cloud Tasks,
etc. As I mentioned in my previous email, we're committed to supporting
legacy runtimes
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/long-term-support> while
means App Engine is staying where it is, however those original bundled
services are just going to stay as-is, so we're encouraging folks to
migrate to "the new stuff."

The good news is that with the migration resources
<https://twitter.com/wescpy/status/1378050414449319937?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=unpaidsoc&utm_campaign=CDR_wes_aap-serverless_modernizegae_codelabsannounce_201031&utm_content=->we're
building can help you move off the bundled services to those standalone
services, and you can continue to use App Engine whether you're staying on
the 1st gen or modernizing/upgrading to 2nd gen. Alternatively, you can
break up large apps to run as a set of microservices on Cloud Functions
<http://cloud.google.com/functions>, or if you want to containerize your
app but still run serverlessly, you've now got Cloud Run
<http://cloud.google.com/run>. Back in the old days, App Engine and the
bundled services didn't give users many options, but with a more open App
Engine today and other serverless products, developers have way more
options than before!