Hi guys!
I just joined this list to make two suggestions. Sorry for not listening
first how this list works. I move forward that quickly because the JBoss
lists (jboss-user, jboss-dev) have a pressing problem. The archives for
this lists grew that big, that a usual "beginner" query will return more
than 10 result pages. But you can only access the first 10 pages via
links. Tweaking the url works but this trick is probably unknown to most
of the users. The problem is pressing since JBoss (the application
server, www.jboss.org) is moving fast and new features are only
documented via email first. So the archives at "The Mail Archive" are
very important to the JBoss team. As a effect we noticed repeated
questions about the same topics which were answered just 3 days ago but
due to the effect prople couldn't find the answer via search. So here
are my suggestions:

1) Increase the 'maximum_pages' config for htsearch to 30 (or at least
20, see http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#maximum_pages)

and

2) Change 'sort' config (http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#sort) to
'revtime'. This will bring up the latest messages first. Very good for
huge archives where old answers are very likely outdated.

I expect that 1) is no problem. Everyone with a huge archive probably
gains improved quality from this. Smaller archives aren't affected
anyway. For 2) I think most of you will oppose against that change. But
who knows, perhaps nobody thought about that setting up to now ...

Thanks for a quick discussion and decision about 1) in advance.

Cheers,
Tobias
(member on jboss-user and jboss-dev)