On October 29, 2003 at 21:55, Kristian =?iso-8859-15?q?K=F6hntopp?= wrote:

> > And, IMHO, the German law you refer to should not have been
> > passed.
>
> I understand from a previous discussion on SlashDot that the concepts behind
> this particular law are very foreign to people in the US.

I understand the reasoning of the German law, I just do not agree
with it.  The attentions are well meaning, but as the saying go,
"the road to hell is paved with good attentions."  I will skip my
reasons why I do not agree with law since I am sure it has been
debated to death on Slashdot.

> > You make the assumption that MUAs properly define in-reply-to and
> > references headers.  Outhouse ... excuse me ... Outlook fails miserably
> > in this regard.
>
> In this particular application I think it is safe to assume that not just any
>
> client is being used, but that the author prepares that statement using a
> client that generates proper header, or even massages the message headers
> manually in order to insure proper linking.

I answered your questions in a general context.  If your usage context
can guarantee proper headers are defined, then linking should work
as you expect.

> Since the vast majority of these types of statements are being prepared withi
> few days of the issueing of the original statement, a 3000 messages window is
>
> just fine. If it isn't, that's tough luck...

But, ignoring jurisdiction, would you still have problems with conforming
to German law?  Do you care?

> > > Question the third: Assuming that there are two subscribers to
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] that forward their messages to mail-archive.org,
> > > will
> > > the archive detect the duplicate submissions and drop the duplicate
> > > copies?
> >
> > For one software component that mail-archive uses, it will ignore
> > messages that have the same message-id to an existing archived one
> > (up to the 3000 message size window Jeff has specified).
>
> So a handover will probably be painless.

I'm unsure about what you exactly mean by "handover".  The way
mail-archive works is that you subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
the list you want archived.  Mail-archive can care less who admins
the lists and if admins change.  Now, if the list address changes,
you will need to be careful since it could case the creation
of a new archive based on the new list address.  Have a look at
<http://www.mail-archive.com/faq.html#duplicate>.

--ewh