On Wednesday 29 October 2003 20:04, Earl Hood wrote:
> As for the German law, it has no jurisdiction with the U.S., where
> mail-archive is located.

That is one particular reason why I chose mail-archive.org as a destination
site for the mailing list as opposed to any site within the same jurisdiction
the original list is in - makes tampering with archives harder for anyone
involved.

> And, IMHO, the German law you refer to should not have been
> passed.

I understand from a previous discussion on SlashDot that the concepts behind
this particular law are very foreign to people in the US.

> You make the assumption that MUAs properly define in-reply-to and
> references headers.  Outhouse ... excuse me ... Outlook fails miserably
> in this regard.

In this particular application I think it is safe to assume that not just any
client is being used, but that the author prepares that statement using a
client that generates proper header, or even massages the message headers
manually in order to insure proper linking.

Since the vast majority of these types of statements are being prepared within
few days of the issueing of the original statement, a 3000 messages window is
just fine. If it isn't, that's tough luck...

> > Also, what is the policy of mail-archive.org regarding inquiries in that
> > matter? That is, if asked, under what circumstances will mail-archive.org
> > produce original headers of the messages sent to it, and offer the name
> > of
> > the submitter, that is, of the source that is feeding the archive?
>
> Jeff can only answer this one.  My guess is Jeff will refuse such
> requests unless a subpoena is involved.

That would be pretty much the policy I am looking for.

> > Question the third: Assuming that there are two subscribers to
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] that forward their messages to mail-archive.org,
> > will
> > the archive detect the duplicate submissions and drop the duplicate
> > copies?
>
> For one software component that mail-archive uses, it will ignore
> messages that have the same message-id to an existing archived one
> (up to the 3000 message size window Jeff has specified).

So a handover will probably be painless.

Many thanks for your helpful answers,
        Kristian