Fred, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming if you have more.

>Does mail-archive.com archive lists to which anyone can post?

Because the service is so big, we probably have the full range. Lists
without spam problems, lists with spam problems, and (unfortunately)
lists that ARE spam problems. The main reason for basic spam filtering
on the archival inbox is to not waste resources archiving spam. That
and the fact that we detest spammers.

>the ads occasionally prevet the last few characters of a message

That may be something we can address.

Does the problem fix itself if you make the broswer wider?  Can I get
a screenshot? Send it to my gmail account please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>I did see one ad for [junk]

Yeah, at least to my eye the Google ads seem to be taking a decline in
quality - with far too many cases either being irrelevant or
sketchy. Since we need the ads to cover costs, I'm not really sure
what to do about it. But I agree that it is a growing concern and
I would like to find a way to address the problem.

>The list name link in the upper left corner of a message page and of
>index pages bring up an index page.  Such a link on index pages is
>pretty useless [...]

Completely agree. We should either try to make that link more useful,
or (perhaps more likely) unlinkify the listname on index pages.

>How about changing the tag to be something like "mailarc" and putting
>something in message footers like "Mail Archive talk"

Sorry - the name "gossip" was the first thing I thought of in
1998. I've changed the footer as you suggested. I'm leaving the tag as
[gossip] to match the listname, but in the long long term will think
about wether or not to change the name of the list.