Jeff,

I'm a little slow on the reply...

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Jeff Breidenbach <jeff@jab.org> wrote:

> Interesting, I'd never noticed that before. I'm looking at the raw
> email received by The Mail Archive (note to self, it is #5525) and am
> wondering why mhonarc decided not to use the usual pre tag. I think it
> is probably because the Content-Type on the message is asking for
> reflow.

I believe you are correct.  Looking at the resulting html reveals
a pattern that hints at mhonarc trying to let text that looks like
a paragraph wrap on its own.

I wondered what it does with a non-flowed plain text email that is
not wrapped (paragraphs all on one line).  I found such a message,
and mhonarc manually wraps the paragraph using a maximum width of
79 and uses <pre> on the resulting text.

So if it's doing that for plain text that could have been flowed
then why not manually wrap the other plain text?

> My guess is you won't see this problem if the content type is just
> text/plain, although I don't know how feasible that is for users. I'm
> not sure what to do here, and I think the options are:
>
>  a) do nothing
>
>  b) try to modify the CSS so that spaces in the TT tag
>     are not consolidated
>
>  c) encourage you to take up the issue on mhonarc-user

 d) use the m2h_text_plain::filter disableflowed setting as described in

    http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/resources/mimefilters.html#m2h_text_plain

> Open to discussion. I'm currently feeling pretty gun shy about "b".

I don't blame you.
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of Minn. Alumnus  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>