It's been brought to my attention that the Great UTF8 Switcheroo
on June 19th may have had some side effects. Some lists are
showing  some corruption on index pages. Not a complete disaster,
but fairly annoying.

For example, on brygforum, things look reasonably ok after June 19th,
but before then subject lines are misdecoded and show up prepended
with strings like  =?iso-8859-1?.

 http://www.mail-archive.com/brygforum@haandbryg.dk/maillist.html

As best I can tell, the problem only affects index pages that use
characters outside the ASCII range, and even then only on pre-June 19
entries. I think I know what the problem is - basically a transition
effect involving the mhonarc database and the way I changed some
settings. I don't know yet if it is fixable, or if instead archives
will just have
to wait for the indexes to flush themselves with time. Cleansing will
happen automatically since indexes only display the most recent 3000
messages for the list.

Anyway, if there are other problems, please report them either
on gossip or private email. Stuff sent to gossip will get a much
higher level of attention.

Cheers,
Jeff