Question for the email gurus -

I've seen a small but not tiny number of messages where the
Mail User Agent is sticking raw iso-8859-1 characters (outside
the ASCII range) inside the Subject: header. And not using
an RFC 2047 encoding. Our software is barfing on those
characters when we convert to UTF-8, for example:

http://www.mail-archive.com/brygforum@haandbryg.dk/msg09684.html

It's not clear to me whether these messages are illegal or not. If
they are illegal, well, tough cookies. If such messages are legal, I
want to make sure the software is doing the right thing. Pointers to
a particular section in an RFC is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeff