Hello everyone!

The Mail Archive had some unplanned downtime yesterday. This is a
picture of the giant battery backup systems and emergency generators
at the professional data center hosting our equipment. None of which
helped in the slightest when the facility had a power incident
Monday. The outage corresponded with the Memorial Day holiday in the
US, so it took a little extra time to get things up and running
again. Archiving has been on hold while we ran some checks on the
primary disk array; things look good now and I suspect archives will
be all caught up within a few days.

http://www.he.net/tour_fremont2.html

What other news is there? The new server gen8 is working like a
champion. It's also remarkably heavy, and if the trend keeps up we
might start naming servers after famous sumo wrestlers. Did you know a
major sumo wrestling tournament will be in Los Angeles next month?
Ok, ok, stay focused.  One of the first changes we did to take
advantage of the extra CPU cores was to switch search indexing to a
daily operation, so results should be much fresher now.

The Mail Archive continues to grow as a service worldwide, with
especially bright points in the US, Germany, Brazil, India, and
UK. However, the most remarkable country by far is Indonesia. At the
time of this writing, The Mail Archive is listed as the 68th most
popular website for that country, just behind The Internet Movie
Database. Big thanks to everyone there. I know some of the
advertisements being shown on Indonesian language message pages are
not as relevant as they should be. We should probably partner with an
Indonesian company or agency to improve this; if you have a relevant
contact please get in touch.

Not much other news. There is a little bit of background work towards
smoother integration with certain list servers. We're also doing some
experiments towards improving localization. For the orphan baby seal
lovers out there, last quarter our corporate donation went to a marine
mammal rescue center. I visited and the feeding style is really
amazing.  A tag team of volunteers corner the baby seal, who is too
young to eat fish.  One pins the seal down and sits on it, while the
other crams a rubber tube down the seal's throat, injecting a
cookie-making sized syringe full of chopped fish/milk mixture more or
less into the stomach. It's somewhat horrific to watch and the seals
absolutely ... love it! They get totally excited at feeding time and
apparently older pups will pretend they don't know how to eat fish yet
in hopes of getting more of that tube/syringe goodness. Absolutely
amazing.

For those of you in the US, hope your holiday weekend went a little
smoother than mine and Jeff's. Please wait a day or two for things to
catch up, but after that yell if you notice any outstanding issues.

Thanks,
Jeff