As I'm evaluating things I've just started using the message display
interface with this list and there are a couple of things that might
make things easier, for me at least...

It may be a nightmare to make it work with all e-mail clients and
webmail setups, I don't know, but a larger selection of Reply button
options would be nice: Reply to Author or List, with or without
quoting... Then I could have easily replied to your 'Improvements'
thread, now that I'm a member, even though it was posted a few days
before I joined the list.

In addition, having the option of disabling the reply button(s) would
perhaps head off some complaints. I'm a little worried how some of my
members will react when random non-members send them messages after
finding their posts in a web search. We're a comfortable little
community, and having "strangers" contacting them could be unsettling.

The other thing I would enjoy would be a control to let me expand the
entire thread in the post display. It would be simple enough for threads
of reasonable size, though longer ones would require some cleverness to
handle page breaks in some fashion.

It would make reading threads faster, with less use of the back button
or need to open additional tabs/windows.

Anyway, you asked for input; those are a few ideas based on my initial
reaction to the interface.

Be well,

Mike D.